As in a tasty mix of talk

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Scared Like Me...

Yesterday an otherwise liberal friend confided that he feared an Obama Presidential win might “unleash Black rage.”

Since then I’ve examined this issue from a personal feelings standpoint: Maybe this is one of those racial secrets that simmer just below the tender skin between our collective subconscious and the voting booth. Do millions of Americans fear retribution from Blacks?

Let’s take a leap… If I were black instead of a middle-aged white woman… no, let’s take a bigger leap.

If I were a black MAN, would a President Obama make me feel entitled to avenge the three-hundred-year history of racial atrocities committed against me and my ancestors by burning, raping, pillaging, looting and otherwise expressing my Black rage? Would it be payback time for every White person who has veered away as we passed on a sidewalk, or hastily locked a car door because I was in pole-vaulting proximity to it, or nervously fidgeted while riding alone with me in an elevator?

How would I go about expressing my rage, exactly? Would I jeopardize my family’s security by risking arrest, imprisonment and maybe my life? Would I humiliate my mother and my pastor by creating an ugly headline? Would I tar President Obama and millions of black Americans with the steaming brush of my Black rage? Would I open a new bakery that specialized in selling Blue-Eyed Devil cakes?

I don’t think so.

If I were a Black man the day after an Obama Presidential win, I think I would be filled with joy. When I stopped celebrating in the streets and all the parties finally ended, even in the White neighborhoods, I would return home to my own bed wondering if I were dreaming. I would lay my head down on my pillow and, for the first time in my life, breathe a deep, cleansing sigh of relief that the bad old days were over. No Klansmen would come for me now, not even in my nightmares. The next day I would notice that Whites looked at me a little differently… not necessarily with respect, but with less pre-judgment… and with less fear.

And I would smile and say “Good Day.”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pkaye...very important post. let's stop being afraid...its time to start seeing people's skin colors for what they are....varying shades of tan....NOTHING else...

10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the kind of thing that angers me...I would bet the farm that 90% of black people do not have "rage" because of something that happened to their ancestors. Do they like that it happened? Of course not. Do they wish things went differently for their ancesters? Absolutely. Do they want to wreak havoc in the streets of the very same towns that they live in? I think Not. I'm not doubting there is rage. It's probably "rage" over the fact that they cant support their families, find good schools for their children, get decent healthcare at an affordable rate etc etc....Wait a minute..these are the things that make me, a white female, full of rage..hmmmm interesting... Also worth noting, fear is a very powerful force, it's EXACTLY what the McCain/Palin campaign are banking on.....

11:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im with you Stacyt...EXACTLEEEEEEEE.....

11:22 AM

 
Blogger San Diego Farmgirl said...

People who are scared about "black rage" don't have any black friends. I'm always suspicious of people who call themselves liberals, but don't have any friends of color. These people lack the balls to support, let alone initiate, any kind of real change. They're me-too'ers, easily distracted by a smart, pretty girl in a sexy governor's costume. They believe what the TV tells them to.

Those who believe in true equality choose their friends based on the strength of their character, not the color of their skin. I don't think liberals who surround themselves with only white people are racist. But, I do think they lack the courage to step outside their comfort zone and experience the wide spectrum of human existence. If you can't even dare to "go there" for real, how can you claim to understand it, much less empathize?

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't begin to comment on what I might feel in that situation because I have no way of understanding what it is like not to be white. I've grown up white, middle class and attractive in a country that prizes those things. That gives me an edge I have taken for granted my entire life, and a free pass to the entitlement buffet that my friends of color don't have.

I don't know how I'd feel. I don't pretend to understand how it feels to be discriminated against because of the very fabric of my exterior. What I do know is that people of color have every RIGHT to feel enraged for past atrocities as well as current practices. I would love it if people of color would comment here. How can I possibly offer anything meaningful to this discussion?

I would wager that there might be rioting if Obama loses. Not from angry people of color, but from the angry white blogger boyz who played so dirty in the name of Obama during the primaries -- the same ones who were behind the whole frenzied-yet-fizzled Recreate 68 movement.

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Pat, I would agree with you but I hope there is black rage! Not like your friend suggests but rather that the African American vote does really materialize and in a way that send fear deep into the hearts of any person who fee;ls that the color of ones skin determines whether that person is fit to be the President. It will take that and every other quote unquote ethic vote to really come out to this election to win. A storm is coming my friends, and I ain't talking about Ike!

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, thanks Pat, that was so fabulous, and so much closer to reality than anyone in the media could express.
I had lunch with a very good friend/former co-worker, who is still rural, white, almost blue collar. He actually said that he was afraid if Obama was elected that he was afraid that Korea and Russia would immediately bomb us. With the idea that Obama would not retaliate, I guess. Because he wants to talk/negotiate. I think other countries, Europe too, would be so impressed with our progress, we would be the toast of the majority of the world.

6:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home