As in a tasty mix of talk

Sunday, August 17, 2008

In Their Place

The time was not long ago. Even if you were born after it curled into a ball in a corner of history, it still reaches for you. If it cannot touch you directly, it reaches you by touching those you know, or depend on or love.

With skinned knees and messy braids, I escaped this ugly time. But I sometimes hear it breathing behind me, insinuating that I belong to it. I do not. But I will never put it to rest. Only my children, and their children, can break free from it completely. Look at my white skin. It burns when I remember.

*****

As the civil rights movement heats up, Life magazine educates American readers on the torturous passage from slavery to the ghetto. I turn the pages of the article and the backs of my retinas recoil from the photographic images… are they real? White men have lined up to pose for the camera, holding shotguns on their shoulders. Proudly they display a black man on his knees, trussed to a yoke. He is dead. His skin is crackled, hanging in shreds. He has been burned alive. Like big game hunters with a kill, the men stare into the camera and smile proudly. This can’t be possible, I think. This lynching happened after the camera had been invented, not hundreds of years ago. I feel sick. The horrific image follows me into my nightmares.

*****

“How can you be in favor of integration?” the boyfriend of my best friend in high school demands to know. “They’re human beings,” I tell him. “They have a right to the same freedoms as every other American.” He shakes his head and stares at me with pitying eyes. “You are so ignorant,” he says. “Don’t you know that colored people aren’t human?”

*****

Now I am carpooling to work for my first job. We are discussing the number one topic of the day, school bussing as an antidote to de facto segregation. The driver this week is a man in his late thirties, the father of three small children. “I am not a bigot,” he insists. “I like colored people just fine, as long as they stay in their place.” I tell him that’s what everyone says who wants to cling to their prejudices without feeling guilty. “You might as well say that if you give them an inch, they’ll take a mile,” I tell him. He is silent for a moment. “They will,” he says.

*****

My family sits transfixed in front of the television. Detroit is in flames. In a banner headline, today’s newspaper says simply, “Burn, Baby, Burn!”

“First Watts and now this,” my father says. “Where is this going to end?”

“But Dad,” I say, “maybe the only way they can get their rights is to demand them. Wouldn’t you feel like burning down the ghetto if you had to live in it because you’re white? Haven’t you always taught us that all people are the same beneath the color of their skin?”

My father looks worried. “Well, sure, we’re all equal,” he says. “But I don’t want them moving into our neighborhood.”

“What? Daddy, don’t you believe in brotherhood, like you always taught us?”

My father doesn’t meet my eyes as he says, “Yes, but I don’t want our property values to drop.”

*****

These ugly times, along with other events like witch-burnings and public hangings, seem far in the past, relics of eras we have since transcended. But I remember the ironic twist that propelled us into a more righteous future. After the fires burned out in Detroit and the embers stopped smoking and the politicians climbed down from their soapboxes, no one, ever again, said they liked colored people as long as they stayed in their place. But that doesn’t mean it’s safe to say, “Hallelujah!” The hate and fear and guilt of yesterday’s racism simmer in the dark corners of our collective subconscious.

Somebody turn on the lights.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Allee said...

This is amazing. Everyone should read this.

2:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only all the wrongs could be righted and the injustices be undone...unfortunately that isn't going to happen....and most unfortunately there is still racist people (although in denial) EVERWHERE you turn. It is sad, they don't even realize they are racist....

9:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we are all prejudiced and probably even racist in that we make snap judgments every day based on how someone looks, how someone speaks, what kind of music they listen to, and what kind of car they drive. We do this because we are human and because we have learned to live in fear. But it is also an expression of our humanity when we go beyond that fear and go forward to see the individual. When we do that, we tend to find someone who isn't so radically different from ourselves in that they want to be loved, they want to feel like they're worth something, and they want a place in the world. Great piece of writing, Pat.

9:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps there is somewhat of a two way street today. Yes, racism still exists and in some places to the extreme. The neo-nazi/skin head/kkk movement in some parts of the South appalls me. But then again so do idiots like Reverend Wright who spews hatred and distrust towards white people every sermon from his pulpit. A man of God? Give me a break! And although I'll vote Obama, it causes me some concern to think he sat in Wright's church for 20 years... the color of his skin doesn't bother me, it's that he was not smart enough to walk out of the church after one or two sermons. Like the fools who follow Falwell, he just kept drinking the Cool-Aid.

7:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he just went to that church because people in his family did, maybe he went there to please his wife, WHO KNOWS???? ALL I KNOW is that I DO NOT agree with A LOT of stuff that is said in the church I go to....(Regular Christian Church)- but I like hearing some of the sermons and my family worships there, so I get to be with them..that is why I continue to go there.
I believe STRONGLY in separation of church and state...so I don't care where he goes.
AND just as a side note...there have been plenty of Presidents in Office that may/may not have been racist (although not overtly so) against black people..so why does it matter to you if the preacher in his church said a few things against white people...BIG WHOOP!!!!

8:54 AM

 
Blogger San Diego Farmgirl said...

Awesome post! Not just a great blog, but it's damn good literature, too!

Reverend Wright speaks the truth. It's not just skinheads who are racist toward African Americans, it's our own damn government. Government-sponsored programs, both open and subverse, have been attempting to solve "the negro problem" ever since Juneteenth, and they continue in full force to this day. White people who can't see it need to spend more time with people of color, perhaps get followed around the mall for no reason or hear the click-click-click of doors locking as you walk through the airport. Receive poor customer service. Get denied for loans. Have critical medical procedures denied by insurance. Have what you think is a great interview, but never get a call back. Be humiliated when somebody assumes you're the hired help. Get pulled over and searched for no reason. It happens every day. I remember when the Rodney King tapes came out, and whitey was so shocked that the police could be so brutal. Black people knew better.

To me, Obama's membership in this church gives me hope that he will inspire REAL change and progress. I'm hoping he only distanced himself from the church in order to get elected, and bring the bullshit down from the inside.

On a less furious note, anybody remember reading the research about how people fear black faces, even without cultural bias? (or so the research claims, tho that would be tough to do) People even fear black dogs, who are the most frequently euthanized at shelters, because they are the last to be adopted. Interesting stuff, may shed some light on the forces behind racism.

Personally, I believe that we descended from a few different types of extra terrestrial beings, and this is where our different races, and racism, came from. What if black folks descended from some badass muthafuckas (Klingons, anyone?) and the rest of us innately fear them? Maybe we share some sort of collective consciousness with our ET ancestors, who fear them. Maybe we remember a past life in which they conquered our planet. It's far out, but so is hating dark people for seemingly no reason.

7:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home