As in a tasty mix of talk

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Raindrops on Roses...

I admit it. I bait-and-switched you. Today’s post is not about raindrops or roses or whiskers on kittens… it’s about torture.

Wait, don’t go away! Humor me! For all of us who haven’t written a dark, disturbing poem since our high school genius days, I present the following. Today is my birthday and I’ll write poetry if I want to!



THE VENGEFUL BELLS

Who speaks for the tortured
Dead, outside cafeterias
Where high school teachers
Write poetry but have
Never bled?

Are the dead well-spoken
Of in the street, by passers by
Who have seen their faces
In photo features but
Forgot them in a week?

Are they mentioned in
The sanctity of our homes
Where other arguments rage
And denial is the only way
To assuage our tarnished hopes?

The tortured dead could tell us
What the reasons were, why
Americans preferred to see them
Naked before they died, in piles
Like Auswitch bones.

They saw how lies multiply
Exponentially, putting hearts
And minds on hold, chasing
Away the last dim lights
That flicker in torturers’ souls.

Who doesn’t want to leave
The tortured dead in their graves,
Move on to new
Distractions, erase the memory
Of Abu Graib?

We want to forget but
Can’t, forgetting isn’t the
Same as not knowing, we
Are subject to history’s judgment
And the vengeful bells still tolling.

4 Comments:

Blogger San Diego Farmgirl said...

The vengeful bells also toll for the innocent people who died on 9/11, who were used as pawns in a struggle for power, and even more sadly, political gain. Watch the news for coverage of a HUGE protest planned in New York Thursday. If not on major networks, check infowars.com or your fave alt press site.

I spit root beer on my monitor when I read this: Today’s post is not about raindrops or roses or whiskers on kittens… it’s about torture.

You are so effing punk rock!

I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful birthday, Pat! You are such a blessing to your friends and family. MUAH! MUAH! MUAH!

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Laurie Allee said...

This is so powerful. And ballbuster/asskicker is right... You ARE so punk rock!

THE WORLD IS BETTER OFF BECAUSE YOU WERE BORN! I'm so glad I got to spend another birthday with you, wonderful poet goddess and all around amazing wunderfemme.

1:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for not letting us forget it. Happy Birthday.

6:53 AM

 
Blogger Dixie Jane said...

Realizing that my belated Happy Birthday greeting did not make the printed page I try to recreate it in vain. All I remember, in part, is saying something like, "If I had known, I would have written you a terrible poem with every intention of making it a good one." Love anyway and always, Dixie Jane

11:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home