As in a tasty mix of talk

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

America to Bush: "Yes We Can!"

When I wrote yesterday’s post, “Bush to America: Up Yours!” I fully intended to write a follow-up post entitled, “America to Bush: Back Atcha!”

But today, I am so elated with hope and pride and love for my country that I no longer have a mean or vindictive word still willing to roll off my tongue.

By electing Barack Obama President of the United States, American voters have closed the door on Bush’s dark zeitgeist of fear and mediocrity. We now stand ready, as we did when John F. Kennedy was elected in 1960, to move forward with a positive agenda of inclusion, instead of its narrow-minded opposite, entitlement.

Obama’s genius lies in his ability to unite people of every race, gender, age and economic status around universal human needs: We want unity, not division. We want peace, not war. We want vision, not fear. We want to soar on the wings of our better angels into a future where tolerance is the norm, and achievement is the guidepost.

As I waited with others to vote yesterday I felt the momentum of history moving us forward in the long line. When I finally came within view of the voting booths, I was struck by how many parents had brought their children with them, to include them in casting their history-making votes. This, we all felt, was one of those rare moments that would become a frame of reference for the rest of our lives.

So, to George W. Bush and everyone else in our great country… “Well done, America: Yes We Can!”

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear his voice and see the look in his eyes from last night, "Yes we Can". I think he meant every word from the depth of his soul:):):)

4:14 PM

 
Blogger Laurie Allee said...

You guys will appreciate this blog by kate Harding.

I can't help but smile at her great story.

5:10 PM

 
Blogger Laurie Allee said...

Oh, and one more thing -- this has been making the rounds all over the blogosphere, even in the cynical circles I frequent. I wish I could find the author because it's such a fantastic sentiment about the new zeitgeist:

"Rosa sat so Martin could walk. Martin walked so Barack could run. Barack ran... so our children could fly."

Hell yeah, everybody.

5:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My President is Black and YOUNG and VISIONARY....I'm so happy and fired up...I want to send my resume to Washington D.C. like yesterday....:):):):)

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Cafe Observer said...

Thanks 4 de Harding link, L!

6:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY....when I tell my son that he can do anything he wants to do, be anything he wants to be...I can say it without a blink because it is now 100% true!!!! Thank God! I am brimming with pride in our nation and it's people......and our President Elect!!!

4:44 AM

 
Blogger Cafe Observer said...

Our children can be anything, including if they are willing to $ell out.

7:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cafe Observer...My son can be anything he wants to be without selling out...I'm not sure I understand your comment. Maybe you could get one of your human friends to translate.

10:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uniting people for a campaign and uniting people in power (DC) are two totally different things. Right now I too am filled with pride and hope and happy the country got it right not to be optimistic for OB. But, will OB really be able to work his magic in the halls of power and will Pelosi really let him call the shots? We will soon see. And until then, I reserve the right to question the true genius of OB.

11:15 AM

 
Blogger Cafe Observer said...

I was speaking specifically about politics, st, which I assumed was the catalyst for your comment. I don't even like my english grammar. It's hopeless- if I have little chance 2 get it right, the other species has even less.

R.Emmanuel 2 b Chief of Staff/Obama, DePodesta 2 b in charge of selecting administration/cabinet posts. Clinton loyalists. I can hardly wait 4 1 of Friedman's students to be named to his econ advisors.

The molding & declawing of BO takes another step by his handlers!! If he seriously intends to work with all sides of the political rainbow coalition, he can only go further right.

2:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We won....how is that selling out??!!!! Finally, we got a brain and quit letting the Repubs. divide and conquer us....we stayed UNITED....

6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The catalyst of my comment was that America has FINALLY put an African American in the Whitehouse. Now my son (who is African American if you haven't figured that out)can see that his future is truly unlimited..... As for our new President's cabinet...How's about we give them a chance and see what they can do before we criticize. I mean, if they get in there and screw up then by all means fire away!! However, can we wait til he gets them appointed and see what actions they take first?

7:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home