As in a tasty mix of talk

Friday, October 10, 2008

POGROM 8... The Mud-Slinging Measure

While heterosexuals who aren't affected by gay marriage decide how to vote on Pogrom 8, the anti-gay marriage measure, the homophobic mud slinging portrayed in pro-8 ads is punishing real, caring, tax-paying gay people.

What is up with the heterosexual frenzy to reserve the ritual of marriage for straight couples? Otherwise reasonable people who agree that gays should enjoy the civic benefits of marriage balk at letting them cut a cake and say, “I do” in the presence of their friends and pastors. The illogical basis of this position hints at an underlying fear that isn’t openly discussed, but which might be fueling the homophobia.

The big gun of the Pro-8 ads is that gay marriage will be taught in schools. “Boys will learn that they can marry other boys,” the ads warn. (Girls, presumably, will be too busy applying lip gloss to pay attention in class.) The inescapable conclusion is that anti-gay proponents are so insecure about their heterosexuality that the mere mention of a different orientation places it at risk.

The cliché objection to gay marriage is that it would create an unhealthy environment in which to raise children, i.e., it would predispose them to homosexuality. The absurdity of this notion is easily exposed. How many gay people do you know? How many of them grew up in heterosexual households? That’s right… all of them. Should we conclude from this that heterosexual parents place their children at risk of becoming gay or lesbian? No… and neither should we conclude the reverse.

In another blog, at another time, maybe I will discuss the psychological premise that we all have the capacity to be attracted to the same sex. Maybe I will discuss the plight of individuals who have desperately suppressed their natural same-sex curiosity for their entire lives, and have lived in fear of expressing it, not realizing that doing so would probably free their heterosexual libidos for fuller enjoyment. But not today…

Today I would like to point out that fear-based decision making leads to bad public policy. Fear of another terrorist attack led us to trust President Bush as he launched a pre-emptive war against Iraq, which had nothing to do with 9-11… and the cost of this bad decision has contributed to today’s freak show on Wall Street. Passage of Pogrom 8 would not stop gays from falling in love, or creating masterpieces, or paying taxes, or otherwise being good citizens: It would, however, perpetuate their undeserved status as second-class citizens. That’s bad public policy, and as responsible voters, we shouldn’t tolerate it.

It hurts me that I enjoy rights and privileges my gay friends do not... it isn't fair, and if I do nothing to support equal rights for all, I don't deserve my own privileges.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Boy am I confused about this one...Is marriage...or getting "married" universal? If you're gay it's okay to me if you get married because to me it's just apiece a paper...it's not love. Love is love, paper is well paper. On the other hand if marriage, the piece of paper, is universal, then I should be able to marry my cousin... or my sister or brother (if I had one) and although this is really weird, my mom too, right? I mean marriage should be for all because who are we to say you can't marry someone you love?

8:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure this country already went through a dispicable time in history where we were trying to keep certain people as second class citizens. I mean seriously, how do we ever grow as a nation when we do not learn from our past mistakes....It's disgusting...

8:24 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

For the record, I'm okay with cousins or gay people getting married...I just don't want to hear people say cousins can't marry if gays can marry. Live and let live I say. Let's just hope the cousins don't procreate.

9:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If gay people get married, they may later regret it. Marriage laws are constructed so that it's easy to get married, but difficult and expensive to get divorced. The system assumes that people benefit from an adversarial process.

However, I dislike the people who are promoting Prop 8. They seem incapable of individual thought.

9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous that they may regret getting married when they have to file for divorce...I know I did!!!!! It has made me understand even that much more though that marriage is a binding contract...a business partnership...and that is the truth!
Which leads me to my next point....the "Gay Marriage Issue" is a matter of religion and I believe STRONGLY in separation of church and state. There is no way that I should be able to enjoy benefits from the partnership I had....only because my partner was of the opposite sex. Just like government should not have the right to Impose any religion on me...they certainly shouldn't have the right to Impose who I love on me....this is absurd. I mean why don't we just go to arranged marriages...that way they can ensure a man marries only a woman, a rich marries only another rich, poor only marries poor and white only married white, Christian only marries Christian...etc.etc. You get the point.

9:47 AM

 
Blogger voice of raisin said...

Thank you, Pat, for this post. As the gay son of a Lutheran minister and someone who has been a music minister in a large Jesuit-run Catholic church for 25 years, it is encouraging to have support from my heterosexual friends who have no real personal stake in this. A good friend from my church choir took it upon herself to create a website called California Mothers for Marriage just because she doesn't want her son to grow up in a hateful world.
The point in the commercial that seems to have swayed voters the most is the lie that churches will be taxed if it does not pass. This is a shameful lie. Churches will NEVER be taxed in America. Gay people have been getting married for months and no one has mentioned taxing churches until this ad. Laws are explicit that each church is allowed to make its own decisions about who can marry at each church and that will not change. There are churches out there now who are marrying gay and lesbian couples. Is it fair that they won't be able to do so if this passes?
I have several friends who are Seventh Day Adventists and, as such, do not eat meat. It would never occur to them that laws should be passed banning meat consumption by everyone. It is a personal choice based on their religion. It amazes me that the right wing LOVES to talk about fighting for freedom but doesn't want people to be free to make basic decisions about their personal lives. They complain about government intruding into their finances, but seem to be OK with it intruding into their bedrooms and uteruses. Sarah Palin puts a snarky beauty queen face on those frightening views and I pray that people will see through that to the closed-mindedness at its core. She says she "tolerates" me with a tone similar to the way she might express tolerance for paying taxes or an unpleasant bout of gas.
Even if you don't personally feel comfortable with gay marriage, I implore you to allow me the same right to marry the person I love that you have. Please. It means more to me than you could possibly know.

10:01 AM

 
Blogger Laurie Allee said...

Right on, Yak! This is such an important issue. I can't fathom the meanspirited smallness of people who give a damn about who someone else marries.

I read a great statistic a while back about the high rate of success among married homosexual couples in states here and other areas of the world where marriage between them is legal. Much higher than marriages of straight people. I wish I remembered the source and the exact numbers.

10:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voice of Raisin-I am truly sorry that so many people in this country are so close-minded and mean. I hate the thought of anyone feeling "tolerated" in the freakin United States of America...What happened to Land of the Free??? .....Please do not lose faith in people..there are a lot of us out there who feel exactly like Yak Pate.... even in a hick-town like Louavul Kentucky!!!

10:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voice of Raisin...I am sorry too...like StacyT said...please keep the faith in people and know that we do and will support you all the way to the voting booth :)

11:05 AM

 
Blogger Cafe Observer said...

The heteros & homos are de
weirdos in need of prof help. No scratch that -the profs need help themselves. But, I tend to believe de natural sexual orientation of you humans is 2 b bisexual. I'm not making a moral judgment on this-i'm a canine afterall-& I'm 2 much of a coward 4 that. Instead, we we hide behind one H or de other.

2 b or not 2 b is our question.

12:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home