As in a tasty mix of talk

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Broke-Back Mall: Hear those PURs A-Jinglin'

I confess, I’m a fashion magazine junky. What could be more fun than curling up with glossy spreads of anorexic middle-schoolers wearing lime-green mink jackets over see-through blouses and no underwear?
Well, it used to be fun. A few years back I could convince myself that, with the right concealer, I, too, could wear shades of green that naturally occur only on fish scales and insect wings. So what if my trendy green duds went out of style before I paid off the credit cards used to purchase them?
Then, last summer, something ominous happened: the clothes, shoes, belts and bags in fashion magazines started sprouting zeros.
“Yikes! $35,000 for a handbag?” I shrieked after seeing it listed as a New York working woman’s “must-have” in Vogue. Must be a typo, I thought. $3,500 is a mortgage payment, but $35,000? That’s a brand-new C-Class Mercedes.
It got worse. Over the next year, prices for shoes, belts and bags continued to sprout zeros, raising prices for these items so high that not even the wives of retired Exxon executives could buy them with a straight face.
Not that it’s any of MY business. As if to drive home the point that fashion is no longer accessible to working-class women, a new phenomenon has emerged in magazines like Vogue, Elle, Bazaar, Lucky and Shop: “Price Upon Request.” As of current June issues, “PURs” have proliferated like page lice. Is this what happens when the wealthy one percent get so many tax breaks they have nothing better to do than bait the middle class? Forget the literal translation. “PUR” is code for: “Don’t even think about buying this, you Walmart-shopping untouchable.”
For those who think I’m too sensitive about my socio-economic status, let’s see what Amy Larocca had to say in her article, “Double Your wardrobe” in the February, 2006 issue of Bazaar: “Some women are so resourceful that they split the cost of big-ticket items, devising time-sharing schemes whereby a few friends go in on, say, a handbag and then work out who gets to flaunt it when.”
Yes, I know, there are plenty of other outrages to get worked up about, but while I’m planning a strategy for those, I will go to Neiman Marcus carrying a rolled-up brown paper bag and annoy the sales staff with inane questions about cost. I will shoplift my fashion magazines (get over it). And I will wait for the day when, like SUV owners who have begun torching their gas-guzzlers because they no longer can afford to drive them and can’t resell them, former manufacturers of $35,000 handbags will sit on street corners holding signs that say, “Will accessorize for food.”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya sister. I was reading the lastest People magazine and they were talking about some man carrying a 35,000 clutch. Are you kidding me? The only thing men clutch here is the package between their legs! And to pay that kind of money for a wallet? Come on!!!

3:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ach~! So true. It's kind of sad when such high amounts of money for a bag, shoes, or belts. I know I'd only pay so much if the bag had infinite capacity, and shoes could make you fly, or the belt had all the gadgets of a super heroes. And even then!

3:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen! I'll accompany you to the pestering, paper bag and all.

4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're preaching to the choir as usual, soul sister. I'm so tired of seeing actresses at awards shows talking NOT about the work, but instead about who "did" their dress. I remember when fashion was about style and only the most non-creative would dare wear things with labels on them. (Think the 80s, when only those Milken-loving Reaganite MFers would be caught wearing "designer" and trendsetters like, oh, Madonna were putting together ensembles based on personal style. I'm with Grace. If I am going to spend a fortune on a bag -- it had better give me superhero powers.

4:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat, I don't especially relate to the topic, as my most expensive indulgences so far in the area of clothes have been men's suits that -- while the most expensive Nordstrom has to offer -- are still under $1,000. However, I enjoyed your piece and found it exceptionally well written.

5:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never darken the doors of Nordstrom's or Neiman's. The trick is, "bling." Enough, "bling" and nobody will notice your purse or shoes. HSN and QVC can accessorize any outfit, and you can pay in four easy payments. And then there are the catalogs. I can while away many an hour and often even fool the public.....if they get past my, "bling."

10:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere in Hollywood, an "it" girl is barfing mint julips into her $35,000 handbag. The circle is complete ...

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home